Excited about the upcoming renovation works in your home? Home improvement can be a thrilling experience, as it gives you the opportunity to complete some much-needed upgrades around the place. We’ve compiled a plumbing checklist to help you get started.
Plumbing is a very essential component of a reno project and can be daunting at times. If not done right, it could lead to costly repairs in the future. Therefore, using a licensed plumber is a good consideration, as can assist with practical information and solutions for your project.
The experienced team at Doherty Plumbing Solutions are fully equipped to take you through the different steps of an owner-occupied plumbing renovation process in your Melbourne home.
What is involved in a plumbing renovation?
Depending on your specific requirements, budget and the scale of a renovation, plumbing works can include hot and cold-water services, bathroom, kitchen and laundry rooms, roof maintenance and repairs, guttering and downpipes, sewer/drainage connections, gas fitting and testing, leak detection, proofing and insulation, solar installation, among others.
A key objective behind plumbing renovation is to install more energy-efficient units and appliances and reduce wastage.
- Heating and cooling systems can use up to 40% of household energy.
- Heating water for showers, baths and washing clothes can consume up to 25% of household energy.
- Standard shower heads can use between 15-25 litres of water per minute. Installing a more efficient shower head can reduce your water usage by more than 50%, as they only use 6-7 litres per minute. You will also save on your gas bills, as the amount of water you heat up will be greatly reduced.
Therefore, it pays, in the long run, to upgrade to units and plumbing connections that conserve energy.
For owner-occupied domestic renovations, there might be permits and certificates of consent required before putting the shovel in the ground. The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) summarises:
- If a project will cost more than $10,000 (including parts and labour) and involves structural work or two or more specific trade skills, you need to use a registered building practitioner for the work and enter into a major domestic building contract.
- If the contract price is more than $16,000, your builder will also need to provide domestic building insurance in most cases.
So, it is recommended that renovators become aware of the process beforehand. A full range of information can be explored through these links –
Where can you get help in Melbourne for plumbing renovations?
With affiliations to VBA, Master Plumbers (Victoria), WorkSafe Victoria and EnergySafe Victoria, the Doherty Plumbing Solutions crew are fully licensed and will assist you to scope your renovation project in the best possible way.
We at Doherty Plumbing Solutions, have vast experience in home renovations and appliance installation. A new bathroom, ensuite, laundry or kitchen renovation or even an outdoor kitchen/barbecue area – we can replace one fixture or the entire room. Where required, the team will provide you with a Compliance Certificate on completion of the job.
Whether it be a major plumbing renovation or a simple dishwasher installation, Doherty Plumbing Solutions are one phone call away.